Lower School News
4th Grade presents original production
For their annual play, the 4th grade put on the original production, "Oregon, Here We Come!"
For the show, the students took the helm and created the play themselves:
- They wrote the play, choosing their characters and personalities and determining the problems the pioneers faced along the way to Oregon
- They made changes to the script, choreography and staging as rehearsals went along and they found something wasn't working
- They wrote backstories to place in the program for each of their characters, to discover personalities and motivations for each.
- They helped write the lyrics to the songs, using a mix of modern and older songs and rewrote the lyrics to such favorites as "Can't Stop the Feeling by Justin Timberlake, "California Girls" by the Beach Boys, "Hungry Like the Wolf" by Duran Duran, and "Sound of Silence" by Simon and Garfunkel.
- They painted the backdrop in art class
"The students were involved in every part of the process," said 4th grade teacher Jennifer Campbell. "They worked very hard and took their rehearsals very seriously, which all paid off—the show was their best performance ever!
"They learned about the Oregon Trail in class and used what they learned to create the story which was historically accurate and interesting. Their sense of humor, creativity, and knowledge of the Oregon Trail shone through in their finished performance!"
Photos courtesy of Bullis parent, Deborah Fulmer.