Celebrating a year full of success
A joyful and celebratory atmosphere filled the Black Box theater on April 24th as Bullis Student tutors (BST) were celebrating a year full of success. This year came with student leaders speaking at numerous renowned education-based conferences, setting up an ambassador project with 40+ Canadian schools, and increasing their YouTube channel to over 160,000-lifetime views.
Following the showing of the new Bullis Student Tutors promotional trailer, Dr. Gerald Boarman talked about the selflessness that comes with devoting one's time to educating and helping others. He stressed that BST has and continues to make a positive impact in the lives of its students. Afterward, Director Alex Brodkowitz '18 discussed the successes of the year, which are laid out above, and commended tutors for the incredible drive and ambition they show towards helping else.
He also thanked his leadership team (written below) for the "game-changing" work that they did over the past year, and congratulated Danielle Robinson '19 and Mira Fink '19 on taking over as co-directors (leadership team below) for the 2018-2019 school year. Additionally, Dr. Marilyn Moreno pointed out BST's success in the past year through reading a testimonial from a BST Student " [This BST Tutor] really helped me learn and focus more in my class. He gave me the determination I needed to finish strong with a good grade at the end of the trimester in Ancient History. Before I worked with [this tutor] I had a 78% in my Ancient History class. After I worked with him I ended up with a 93%. I couldn't believe it. [This tutor] really helped me a lot." Other speakers included Mr. Robert Pollicino (Upper School Principal), Ms. Margret Andreadis (Lower School Principal, Alonso Flores-Noel '18 (Director of Lower School Tutoring), Danielle Robinson '19 (Director of Middle School Tutoring), and Zheng (Tomas) Yang '18 (Director of Upper School Tutoring).
Mr. Jason Eist (Coordinator of Bullis Student Tutors) presided over the annual tutor pinning ceremony (see pin logo above) and announced the winner of the Dr. Constance Giles Appreciation Award. This year's award went to Ms. Stacey Roshan, who played an instrumental role in the establishment of the YouTube channel, conference preparation, and the new and innovative appointment reservation system for Upper Schoolers. Alex Brodkowitz and Mr. Eist agreed that there was nobody more deserving of this award. Subsequently, Mr. Eist thanked all tutors for their hard work in the past year and expressed his enthusiasm for the future of the program.
2017-2018 Leadership Team
- Director of BST: Alex Brodkowitz '18
- Director of Lower School Tutoring: Alonso Flores-Noel '18
- Assistant Director of Lower School Tutoring: Amanda Leder '19
- Director of Middle School Tutoring: Danielle Robinson '19
- Assistant- Director of Middle School Tutoring: Mira Fink '19
- Director of Upper School Tutoring: Tomas (Zheng) Yang '18
- Director of Virtual Tutoring: William Galbreath '19
- Assistant Director of Virtual Tutoring: Pengfei (Joey) Ji '18
- Administrator of Bullis Student Tutors: Katelyn Foreman '18
2018-2019 School Year:
- Co-Directors of Bullis Student Tutors: Mira Fink '19 and Danielle Robinson '19
- Lower School Director: Amanda Leader '19
- Lower School Assistant Director: Grace Gibson '19
- Middle School Director: Jared Cohen '20
- Middle School Assistant Director: Madison Norman '20
- Upper School Assistant Director: Liam Handel '20
- Virtual Tutoring Director: Austin Brown '20
- Virtual Tutoring Assistant Director: Joey Friedlander '20
- Marketing Director: Katelyn Foreman '19
- Marking Assistant Director: Charlotte Helmig '20