Campus Safety & Security
At Bullis, the safety and security of our students and staff is our top priority. The Bullis Safety and Security Department establishes systems that ensure everyone on campus is well-protected, safe and able to focus on the activities of school life.
Director of Bullis Safety and Security David Buerger, (center), is a retired captain from the Greenbelt, Maryland, Police Department, where he spent more than 25 years as a police officer, supervisor and manager and organized community policing initiatives and police specialty programs. He also developed and implemented the first school resource officer position in the state of Maryland which became the model implemented throughout the D.C metropolitan area. Mr. Buerger has trained law enforcement officers and educators throughout the country on the management of school safety, and served on the board of directors of the National Association of School Resource Officers. He holds a M.S. and B.S. in management from the University of Maryland University College and is a graduate of the FBI National Academy Session #232.
Bullis Safety and Security Officers, left to right: Dadrien Sims, Sam Thomas ’12, Director David Buerger, Marygrace Serra, Romel Ngbea, and Supervisor Ray Butler
Co-founded by Bullis alumnus Samier Mansur ’03, LiveSafe provides safety communication services to colleges and universities throughout the country through the user's smartphone. Bullis is the first private school in the nation to partner with LiveSafe for our emergency notification system.
LiveSafe provides more features than simply e-notifications to users during weather or other emergencies. Their sophisticated LiveSafe application, customized for the Bullis community, also provides a mobile platform that allows users to text message and receive replies from trained Bullis personnel. Students, staff and parents will have a quick and easy means for alerting security about anything that should be reported—or even just if they want something investigated. Through iPhone and Android devices, users will also have the ability to report GPS-tagged information with added pictures, videos and audio clips. When students, staff or parents send information, we will know where they are on campus and can respond immediately.
Search for and download “LiveSafe” from the Apple or Google Play app store. Open LiveSafe on your device.
- Sign up and verify your account
Register using your mobile phone number. Follow the verification instructions (you will receive a code via SMS text to the phone number entered). Once verified, fill out your profile and create a password. Tap “next”.
- Select Bullis as your organization
Bullis should appear at the top of the list if it is nearby. Otherwise, search for and select it. You’ll know you are in the right place when you see your organization’s logo at the top. When prompted, enable push notifications and location services to receive full benefits of the LiveSafe app.
- Want notifications via email as well?
Go to the setting/profile section of the app, enter your email address to your profile and follow the email verification instructions.
Bullis’ emergency plans went through extensive review by the staff Safety Advisory Council. The result is a robust plan designed to better prepare our community for potential emergencies. In addition to publishing a quick reference guide for each classroom and office, detailed plans are available in electronic form and through our LiveSafe safety app.
In addition to monthly evacuation drills, a variety of safety drills (lockdowns, weather shelter, law enforcement shelters, and bus evacuations) are conducted on a regular basis to better prepare staff and students for potential emergencies.
Licensed Upper School juniors and seniors may park on campus but must first register online.
Upon registration and payment, students will receive a hang tag for their windshield which must be displayed at all times while the vehicle is on campus.
Campus Safety Accomplishments
- Hired personnel dedicated to campus safety and security.
- Installed campus-wide indoor and outdoor public address system.
- Increased lighting throughout campus.
- Installed electronic gates at the Democracy Road and Falls Road Stadium exits.
- Increased safety measures in and around the stadium
- Created campus-wide security incident reporting system.
- Automated security patrol reporting system.
- Increased use of radio system and dedicated channel for security.
- Established dedicated internal and external phone system for Security.
- Increased presence by the Montgomery County Police Department.
- Expanded training for Emergency Response Team (ERT) and Security to include FEMA's Incident Command System (ICS).
- Established ID badge system for Summer Programs staff.
- Implemented emergency bus evacuation drills.
- Installed electronic door access control system throughout campus; implemented November 2014
- Updated and recirculated hard-copy Emergency Plans in locations throughout campus
- Established off-campus reunification and safety site in case of campus-wide evacuations.
- Established new emergency notification system and safety app (LiveSafe).
- Established emergency response procedures for athletic injuries.
- Added sidewalk and crosswalk to/from Falls Road bus stop next to front gate.
- Modified visitor accountability and check-in process.
- Customized security parking violations and faculty parking permits.
- Installed a WeatherBug station and athletic field lightning detection system.
- Hired an additional full time campus security officer.
- Updated the emergency plans and emergency kits for each building.
- Improved exterior lighting.
- Trained faculty and staff on emergency procedures.
- Attended national and local school safety training (security and administration).
- Installed Raptor visitor package for Founders Hall that checks visitors against sex offenders lists nationwide.
- Led mock tabletop emergency training exercises (security, administrators, and operational staff).
- Upgraded classroom locks to ensure lockdown compliance.
- Installed extensive external digital camera surveillance system throughout campus.
- Installed a radio repeater for the security/emergency channel to increase range and quality of radio transmissions.
- Expanded Safety & Security professional development.