At nearly 70,000 square feet, our state-of-the art Discovery Center will be the new heart of the Bullis campus, enhancing learning, creativity and exploration for every student while allowing the School to maintain small classes and expand available classroom space on campus.
- Fabrication Lab or “Fab Lab," modeled after MIT laboratories, will include dedicated spaces for metal working, robotics, woodworking, digital production and fabrication.Tools such as 3D printers, laser printers, CNC routers and more will provide options for all students in grades 2-12 to engage in scientific inquiry, exploration and fabrication
- Entrepreneurship Lab, equipped with presentation rooms, innovation lab and group study/meeting spaces
- Versatile multi-use studio/theater with movable seating for 225-person audiences to attend lectures, shows, ceremonies, exhibits and conferences
- Student Center containing a greatly expanded School Store, a full café offering hot and cold snacks and beverages, and tables and seating to provide ample study, meeting and conversation spaces for classes and groups
- Telepresence classroom with state-of-the-art video conferencing equipment that will bridge time and distance and bring students in contact with experts off-campus and around the world
- Ten flexible classrooms, plus eleven science labs--two specifically designed for Lower School
- Lower School outdoor learning lab for such activities as gardening projects, woodworking and more
- Rooftop terrace ideal for classes, special events and social gatherings
- Stunning architectural design featuring soaring brick and glass walls and versatile spatial flow will be the focal point of the campus and a hallmark among educational buildings of its kind
- Increases number of classrooms on campus by almost 50 percent
- Provides for more hands-on learning experience
- Interactive, adaptable design creates a flexible learning environment
- Gathering and performance spaces provide various venues for the Bullis community
- Energy-efficient, local materials, rain gardens and the latest technological advancements, continuing the Bullis green commitment to environmental stewardship
- Unique, state-of-the-art building provides an extraordinary setting for cutting-edge signature programs
As Bullis grows, so does student involvement in our sports program across all grades. Our recently completed new turf field replaces an existing grass field and will be used for lacrosse, field hockey and soccer games, as well as football practices. This new all-weather field ensures student safety during practices and games. Lights and a new scoreboard with sound system will be complete by the end of October.
Bullis broke ground on the building in October 2015. The steel structure was completed by September 2016 and the external skin of the building will be completed by December 31, 2016. The building is expected to be fully completed by July 1, 2017, with landscaping during the summer months and a building open at the start of the 2017-2018 school year.
The Turf field construction was completed and put into use in September 2016, with lights added in October 2016.
The Discovery Center will be situated near South Hall where the playground is located (a new playground was constructed across the Ring Road and dedicated in fall 2015). The turf field replaces the existing grass upper field adjacent to the Senior Parking Lot.
The Discovery Center is named for Dr. Gerald L. Boarman, Bullis Head of School. Major campaign donors and the Board of Trustees chose the name to recognize Dr. Boarman’s leadership and vision for the building and the future of Bullis.