Upper School 9-12
An engaging curriculum greets Upper School students. Students graduate from Bullis Upper School with the ability to navigate and adjust even when the way forward is not always clear. Students call upon the habits they have formed—critical thinking, creativity, collaboration, communication, and resourcefulness.
In Upper School,
- We challenge ourselves and find our direction.
- We stretch-and-soar and embrace opportunities for exploration.
- We push the boundaries of what’s possible.
Whether composing an incisive thesis statement, grappling with stage fright, resolving conflict, or working through a tricky mathematical proof, they routinely face—and overcome—exciting challenges.
The Challenges May Vary, the Approach Remains Consistent
At Bullis, teachers and students reflect together on what the student does well and how they can improve. Self-awareness is critical to growth and learning. By tackling challenges and solving their own problems, students build confidence and strengthen intrinsic motivation.
- They happen in the Entrepreneurship program, as students team up to create new businesses, developing an idea from prototype through market analysis, and planning for scale.
- These moments happen in the art studio, where a student working in a less familiar medium reaches a state of flow, or on the stage when the lights go down, the curtain goes up, and the performance transcends.
- They happen on the field, when sore muscles and hot practices pay off in a big game.
- They happen on National History Day, when juniors make captivating presentations about the historical significance of an event and its repercussions today.
- And moments happen with Bullis Student Tutors, when a student makes a breakthrough and it’s hard to tell who’s more excited— the tutored student or the student tutor.