Learning Through Experience
Two Days at the Beginning of the School Year
Each year, to kick off the start of school, all Bullis students enjoy two days of experiential education (ex-ed).
- These ex-ed experiences at Bullis help to blend new and returning students by emphasizing teamwork, respect for others, confidence, and the joy of discovery.
- Classes unite and friendships bud before the school year begins.
Each grade has a different adventure, which may include hiking, biking, canoeing, kayaking, or rafting. While some students team up to tackle a ropes course, others do service projects. Juniors visit college campuses as they work to identify their best college fit.
Week-long Sessions in the Spring
Choice, collaboration, and growth without grades are the hallmarks of Bullis Discovery Days— a time when students and teachers pause their regular school routines for an immersive experience in something new.
- Discovery Days encourages students to take risks, find their passions, ask interesting questions, and face challenges in a non-traditional setting.
- Students develop knowledge, skills, and values outside of the classroom.
- The courses further develop the core Bullis academic values of collaboration, communication, creativity, critical thinking, and resourcefulness.
Students choose from a wide range of options, then pursue their interests together.