Diversity & Equity Committee
Established by Head of School Dr. Gerald L. Boarman as a task force in fall 2010 to analyze and address issues of diversity on the Bullis campus, this group is now a permanent committee spearheading a number of initiatives and ongoing activities.
- Joanne Szadkowski (Director of Institutional Advancement)
- Bryan Whitford (Upper School Spanish teacher and advisor for student club, Diversity Awareness at Bullis).
Approximately 25 staff members, representing all divisions, and a variety of offices and departments, meet bi-monthly.
- Comprehensive survey of all staff to identify their “lived experience” at Bullis and their work on the campus supporting diversity
- Collaboration with Joyce Williams and Margaret Bonham, who serve as Diversity Chairs of the Parent Association
- Various diversity training programs for the committee, administrative team and all staff by both outside experts and students
- Significant professional development opportunities for task force members including through the Equity Collaborative at Georgetown Day School, the annual People of Color Conference and AIMS diversity training.
- Membership in EastEd, a local collaborative of diversity practitioners at area independent schools.
- Student surveys and workshops
- Monthly newsletter of resources and thought-provoking material
- New Middle School Diversity Club and reinvigorated GSA in the Upper School
- Student attendance at the Middle School Sandy Spring Diversity Conference
- All-school events, including Think B4U Speak Campaign, Freedom Rider/Activist Speaker Joan Trumpauer Mulholland, Day of Silence and screening of the documentary “An Ordinary Hero” and panel discussion with Freedom Riders Joan Trumpauer Mulholland, Dion Diamond and Rev. Reggie Green.
- Hosted the first metrowide DC GSA Student Summit, with 14 schools and 130 students in attendance
- Screened “Girl Rising” documentary about education for girls around the world
- Photo exhibit on family diversity
- Celebrations of MLK Day, Women’s History Month, Hispanic Heritage Month and other special occasions.
- Partnership with Parent Diversity & Equity Committee
- Increased involvement with the Lower School on issues of diversity
- Peer Mentors will lead team building exercises
- Address/review diversity through the school accreditation process